As California's drought worsens, attempts at curbing personal water use have gotten more and more drastic. Even the state's legendary agricultural industry has been the target of concern over its large water requirements. Enter Skip Showers for Beef. The Yes Men, FunnyorDie.com, and Courage Campaign launched a new grassroots moo-vement for drought-conscious Californians who want to offset their water footprint, but don't want to give up their precious, precious steak. Millions were fooled by their slick lifestyle-branding video, a heartfelt endorsement by the famously vegan Moby, streets teams of cows and hamburgers, and an appearance at a Governor Brown event. More importantly, the scale of industrialized beef's water usage was brought into vivid focus by the numerous press and media outlets that reported on the action.
- CBS: DJ, Musician Moby Tells Drought-Shamed Californians To Skip Showers So They Can Eat Beef ‘Responsibly’
- Breitbart: Drought: DJ Moby Asks Californians To Give Up Showers For Beef
- ThinkProgress: Why Moby Wants You To Stop Showering
- Paste: New Nonprofit Wants You to Skip Showers to Eat Beef
- DailyKos: You can have your steak, and eat it too!