On October 12, 2012, Middlebury College welcomed His Holiness the Dalai Lama to campus. An announcement was made that in honor of the visit from the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize Recipient, the College had chosen to demonstrate ethical leadership in divesting its endowment from war and environmental destruction. In reality, the satirical notice about Middlebury’s divestment was written by the Dalai Lama Welcoming Committee, a group of students concerned that the College embraces practices inconsistent with its own proclaimed values.
- Seven Days - Why Middlebury College Put Five Students on Trial Over a Dalai Lama Prank
- Rutland Herald - Middlebury College students reprimanded after press release hoax
- IntheCac.com - Midd Students Pull a Yes-Men
- Dalai Lama Welcoming Committee - Community Judicial Board Hearing – DLWC Opening Statement
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education- At Middlebury, Embarrassing the Administration Has a Cost.
- VT Digger - Middlebury Students Distribute Fake Press Release Claiming College Divested ‘Industries of Violence’ Investments
- Midd-Blog - Press Release Sent Out to College Claims Middlebury Will Divest From War
The flyer distributed around campus: